• Congratulations to…
▪ Mayor’s Ball Organizers for a delightful and memorable event that presented a community vision to restore of our historic armory for future memory-making events for generations to come.
▪ Dr. Annette Simard for providing chiropractic care in Cottage Grove for a quarter of a century!
▪ Friends of the CG Carousel for last week’s successful restoration center open house event at the WOE Fairgrounds
• Bridging Cultures at the CG Library in October. Explore Muslim culture through exhibits, film screenings and conversations on Monday evenings from 6-8 pm. A month-long display features books, films, music and art focused on Muslim culture. (Details in special event section)
• CG Museum offers a wonderful glimpse into “the attic of our community” revealing all kinds of historical treasures. New fall hours: Saturday & Sunday, 1-4 pm on the corner of H & Birch.
• Swinging Bridge Restoration Fundraising Opportunity for City water users. The monthly water bill now offers a “Round Up for the Swinging Bridge” donation. Whatever amount is donated is placed in a City trust fund dedicated to the swinging bridge repair costs. Round up to the nearest dollar of your water bill or make a larger donation to the project. For more info call the Friends of the Swinging Bridge organizer Dana Merryday at 541-942-7037.
• October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month For women, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer (1 in 8) and is the second leading cause of death. On average, every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer and 1 woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes. Get screened today: www.peacehealth.org/mammo
• Friends of the Cottage Grove Carousel are busy restoring a vintage carousel donated to the people of Cottage Grove. For a peek at the restoration process and learn how you can get involved in the project, call Don Williams at 541-942-4752 or email email@example.com.
• Habitat for Humanity ReStore offers wide variety of household items in addition to building supplies at reduced prices. OctoberFest Sale features a 10%-60% price reduction determined by a dice roll. Donations are welcome and volunteers are needed. Visit Habitat Office & Warehouse at 2155 Getty Circle, Unit 1 in the CG Industrial Park. Call 541-767-0358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• South Lane Fire & Rescue Update from Santa Rosa, CA: SLCFR, as part of Lane Strike Teams 1 and 2, continue to be engaged on the lines of the fires in the Santa Rosa area. These are fast moving dynamic fires. We are all doing well and everyone is safe. It looks like we may be here a while. Currently deployed from SLCFR’s team are; Chief Wooten, DC Raade, ENG Parsons, RFF Conchola. Thank you for all the support, thoughts and praise.
■ VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES for individuals and families to be do-gooders and have some fun, too!
4-H Clubs need more adult volunteers now! For list of open positions: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/become-4-h-leader
City Library & Community Center recruiting tweens & teens to assist with daily operations & special events. Call 541-942-1185.
Community Sharing needs office volunteers most days from 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. For details call 541-942-2176.
CG Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers for projects and staffing the ReStore. Visit www.habitatcg.org or call 541-767-0358.
CG Humane Society needs This-N-That thrift store volunteers. Drop by 33 N. 8 St. for more info. CG Hospital Auxiliary invites you to join this active, fun group to raise money for local healthcare needs. Call 541-942-3671.
CG Historical Society needs volunteer research librarians on Fri & Sat. Training provided. Email: email@example.com Meals on Wheels needs drivers for local deliveries. Call 541-682-9261 for more information.
Meals on Wheels needs local drivers. Call 541.682.9261 for more information.
Oregon Aviation Historical Society needs volunteers to index historical documents and host museum hours. Call 541-767-0244.
Senior Companion Program needs volunteers (55+ & low income) for 15 hrs/week with 40-cent per mile reimbursement to support frail elders & disabled individuals to prolong their independence. For more info contact Beth Brooks at 541-463-6263.