▪ Friends of the CG Carousel for its successful St. Valentine’s Dinner & Dance at CG High School on Feb. 10. Former KVAL News Anchor Shelley Kurtz served as MC for the 100 attendees who enjoyed the Big Band music of the Parson Creek Band.
▪ Habitat for Humanity Crab Feed Extravaganza was a sold out event in the CG Armory last Saturday with 300 crab lovers coming together to support the nonprofit organization that builds houses for those who can’t afford one.
▪ Trinity Lutheran Church Community Kitchen celebrated its 20th year serving free meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Feb. 8, Program Director Peggy Brown noted they have served 2,028 dinners and served 172,799 meals with the help of 44,616 volunteer hours.
• Beds for Freezing Nights: The emergency warming shelter IS ACTIVATED at First Presbyterian Church, South Third & Adams. Hours: 7 pm to 7 am when sustained lows are 29 degrees or colder. For continuing activation and general info check the website www.freezingnights.com or call the BFN Hotline: 458-209-9744.
• Local Road Repair Updates are now posted on the City of Cottage Grove website: www.cottagegrove.org
• Swinging Bridge Restoration fundraising opportunity for City water users to round up to the nearest dollar of your water bill or make a larger donation to the project. Funds are placed in a City trust fund dedicated to the swinging bridge repair costs. For more info call the Friends of the Swinging Bridge organizer Dana Merryday at 541-942-7037.
• South Valley Athletics Soccer Field Improvements $10K GoFund-Me Campaign now underway to improve the field next to LCC-CG Center that would pay for leveling, irrigation, fertilization, seed and drainage improvements to create two additional practice fields and an alternative game field for youth sports activities. Help our kids stay active!
• Vision2037 Community Conversation Tuesday, Feb. 27 from 6-8 pm at the CG High School Cafeteria The City’s VisionKeepers invite individuals and families to participate in an evening of conversation, food and fun to re-engage our townspeople in shaping the future of The Grove. City officials, the Chamber of Commerce & T.E.A.M.cg enthusiastically encourage your participation. (child care provided)
• Ward 4 City Council Vacancy Announced Applicants must be registered voters who live in Ward 4 (SE area) and have resided in Cottage Grove for at least one year. The application deadline is Monday, March 5 at 5 pm. For more info visit www.cottagegrove.org or stop by the City Manager’s office.
• To learn more about local history visit our three museums: ▪ CG Museum offers a wonderful glimpse into “the attic of our community” revealing all kinds of historical treasures. Hours: Saturday & Sunday, 1-4 pm on the corner of H & Birch. Current exhibit: Vintage Valentines & Candy Boxes ▪ Bohemia Gold Mining Museum is s a great way to discover Cottage Grove’s rich mining heritage. Located in the Boots & Sandals Barn on S. 10th St. Hours: Thu-Sat, 1-4 pm Info: www.bohemiagoldminingmuseum.com ▪ Oregon Aviation History Center (across from the Cottage Theatre) offers displays and information on Oregon’s early aviation history that set safety standards for the country. View several vintage aircrafts being restored in the hanger. Hours: M-Th 10 am-4 pm
• Friends of the Cottage Grove Carousel is busy restoring a vintage carousel donated to the people of Cottage Grove. For a peek at the restoration process and learn how you can get involved in the project, call Don Williams at 541-942- 4752, Email email@example.com or visit their Facebook page. Learn more: #cottagegrovecarousel
• AARP Free Tax Help Available every Wednesday through April 11 at the CG Community Center. Sign up begins each Wednesday morning at 8 am for sessions that day. Everyone is welcome to use this free service.
• South Valley Athletics (SVA) Fundraiser, this Saturday (2/24) from 2-6 pm at The Brewstation. SVA had their trailer and equipment stolen, this fundraiser helps them replace their gear and support the kids in our community. Coast Fork Feed/The Brewstation is donating $500 and encouraging everyone to donate a matching amount or whatever they can afford to help the kids get new equipment.
• Community Garden Spaces Available at Bohemia School & CG High School. Annual rental fee $15 per raised bed. Access to irrigation water and organic compost is provided. Contact Melissa Fery, SLSD Farm to School Education
• South Valley Athletics Spring Soccer Registration for players 4 yrs – 8th Grade Mass Registration event Sat.2/24 from 10 am-3pm at Lincoln Middle School. For players 4-years-old thru 8th Grade.
• Support Cottage Grove Pool Upgrades by making a donation at www.generosity.com and helping achieve the campaign’s $25,000 goal. In May 2016, South Lane voters approved a bond measure that earmarked $5.1 million. Project costs have increased requiring an additional $600K to purchase and install a brand new fast tank for racing, a 20-yd warm water lap pool, new plumbing, dressing rooms and new deck.