• Congratulations to…
▪ Yard of the Week Winner: 1302 North 19th St Submit nominations of a single family residence inside the city limits to the Chamber of Commerce (541-942-2411) or City Hall (541-942-5501). Two weeks left! See pics: www.cottagegrove.org
▪ Creative Chaos Theatre Troupe: For your hard work rehearsing and stepping out beyond your comfort level to provide our community with an entertaining play at the Opal Center for the past two weekends. And kudos to all the Grovers who encouraged and supported the troupe by attending their performance.
• Fire Season Levels Reduced The cooler weather has lowered restrictions in the city limits and rural areas. Check these two websites for more information: www.southlanefire.org and www.facebook.com/ODF-WesternLane
• Friends of the Cottage Grove Carousel is nearing completion of the vintage carousel donated to the people of Cottage Grove. More money is needed immediately to complete the lights and murals. To help keep the project moving along, call Don Williams at 541-942-4752, Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cgcarousel.com or Facebook page.
• Friends of the Swinging Bridge continue to work with the City of Cottage Grove to replace this iconic much loved footbridge. All donations are placed in a restricted fund for this purpose only. Follow the progress on the Friends of the Cottage Grove Swinging Bridge on Facebook.
• Cottage Grove’s Youth Advisory Council has openings for 2018-19 school district for youth in grades 7-12 for students who live in the South Lane School District to apply for a council seat. A special meeting for YAC applicants is Monday, Sept 17, at 7 pm.
• Help purchase a protective display case for the CG Library’s Opal Whiteley Collection Make checks out to Friends of the Cottage Grove Library and note that the funds are for the Opal Whiteley Collection Fund.
• Free Plastics Roundup, Sunday, Sept 30 from 10 am -2 pm, Lane County’s Glenwood Transfer Station, 3100 E. 17th St., Glenwood. Your “dishwasher-clean” plastics #2, 4 & 5 will be accepted at this collection event. If you can’t deliver your own plastics to this roundup call 907-821-1584 for logistics to get them up there (only if they are clean)
• Did you know? Cottage Grove has just over 50 miles of streets, 3,897 metered water services, 3,609 sewer connections, and just over 30 miles of storm drainage lines. In August, Public Works issued 46 permits, 3 for new homes, and performed 99 inspections. (Currently, there are two job openings in the Public Works department.)
• City Planning Commission Vacancy to complete the remainder of a 3-year-term that ends Dec 2020. To get more information and to apply for this volunteer position go to the City website: www.cottagegrove.org/jobs
• Roosters unwelcome in The Grove! The Municipal Code prohibits roosters inside the city limits. If you have one, you’ll need to re-home it to avoid a penalty of up to $500/day. Call Eric at 541-942-3340 for more info.
• Come meet the new Main Street Coordinator Jared Sidman, this Tuesday (9/18) from 5:30-6:30 pm at Stacy’s. • CG High School Parent Club call for vendors! If you have something to sell for their Saturday, Sept 29 fundraiser send email to email@example.com. The event features a silent auction and a 50/50 raffle.
• Oak Park Christian School Openings Available for 3-year-olds on M/W mornings, 4-year-olds on M/T/Th afternoons, Kindergarten/First Grade Class (currently has only 5 kids) Call 541-942-0600 for more information.
• To learn more about Cottage Grove’s history visit our three local museums:
▪ CG Museum offers a wonderful glimpse into “the attic of our community” revealing all kinds of historical treasures. Hours: Sat & Sun, 1-4 pm on the corner of H & Birch. Current exhibit: Animal House movie 1977 parade photos (thru October)
▪ Bohemia Gold Mining Museum is bigger and better in its new location in the historic Boots & Sandals Square Dance Barn (across from Bohemia Park). Lots of displays and artifacts, replica of miner’s cabin, Bohemia Mountain mural & more! It’s a great way to discover Cottage Grove’s rich mining heritage. Hours: Thu-Sat, 1-4 pm Suggested Donation: $2/person Info: www.bohemiagoldminingmuseum.com
▪ Oregon Aviation History Center (across from the Cottage Theatre) offers displays and information on Oregon’s early aviation history that set safety standards for the country. View several vintage aircrafts being restored in the hanger. Hours: M-Th 10 am-4 pm